Since starting the Development Radio show on www.mysticradiolive.net I have been busy getting used to life on Radio. As a professional wedding photographer I am very comfortable interacting with large groups of people face to face, yet speaking into a mic and not being able to see any of the listeners is out of my comfort zone...way out of my comfort zone.
However I will triumph my fears (that seem to surface half an hour before the show), because my nerves are insignificant to the work of Powerful Measures and what I KNOW we will accomplish in the future.
So what are the next steps on this journey to uplifting Jamaican and of course our British youth?
1. Get ready for our Careers Week campaign in Jamaica in 2012.
2. Get BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS. Together with Help Jamaica EV (www.helpjamaica.org) we are asking for people and organisations to donate any (good quality) books they relating to career and personal development. Please call 07950226619 for more information
After the above steps are accomplished we're onto the next level :-)
We are now onto the next level. In fact we have taken a few mighty steps since I wrote the above entry. Thirteen months on we have;
1) Collected hundreds of books for our career resource centre.
2) Delivered our very first Career Development Week (in St. Ann, Jamaica) where we assisted over 60 young people in updated their resume and creating a career map.
3) Joined SAINTSS (St. Ann Inter -Agency Network of Social Services) that include all the government agencies and a good number of non government agencies; within the parish of St. Ann.
So where are we now? What are our priorities?
1) Building our team of Board Members in Jamaica.
2) Informing the Jamaican diaspora in Britain of our project.
3) Recruiting mentors to 'coach' the young people we worked with during our career development week.
4) Getting ready to deliver a bigger and better career development drive during Jamaica's 2013 National Careers Awareness Week; early next year.